Saturday, October 11, 2014

Salad & hollyhocks

Today was beautiful outside. I'm so glad I decided to spend much of my time doing yard work. Realizing these lovely fall days will transform into winter before long makes me really appreciate them! I woke up & fed the boys oatmeal with blueberries (as usual) & I got busy chopping veggies for salad & soup. Here's what I put in the salad: leaf lettuce, cabbage, kale, broccoli, onion, pickles (trying to use them up), & tomato. I also add a few pickled beets & spinach when I add the dressing. Oh yes, also a few nuts & small amount of diced cheese. That was my breakfast. I make my own dressing & thin it with milk & either vinegar or pickle juice to reduce calories. I often eat salad every day & I really think I've been healthier. I haven't been sick in years. I don't take credit...I know God is in control of health, but I think He blesses our efforts to be healthier. Later, I clipped tons of hollyhocks. we had lots of rain this summer so many are 4-5 feet tall. I clip them with a little pruner & scrape off the seeds to plant in other areas of the yard. Some people think these are more like weeds but I like them & how hardy they are. Anyway, that was lots of exercise for me....bending & walking. I didn't even get to all of them. I also spray painted the rusty grill on the old pickup with black spray paint that costs only 98 cents at Wal Mart. It looks better, but the main reason I painted it was to stop the rust. Did you know that rust spreads? Well it does. And if you just get some paint on it, it will help. I have a couple of wire chairs that I've had a long time & have only painted them a couple of times in 10 or 15 years. And yes, they were kinda rusty when I first painted them. I don't even bother trying to scrape off the rust, which would take forever! It's supposed to rain, but then I think we'll have a few more weeks of nice weather & I'm looking forward to cleaning flower beds & trimming some of the many dead branches on my trees. Now, I wish I could hear how your day went?   Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment