Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Jesus & the Samaritan woman (how Jesus treated women!)

   I want to tell you a story about a very famous woman. The reason she is famous is because Jesus stopped to rest one day & spent a few minutes talking to this lady. This story is found in the 4th chapter of John, in the Bible & is taught frequently in Christian churches.I feel like it is a very great honor that I get to tell you my version of this story...the reason I say that is because God has given every single one of us a UNIQUE FINGERPRINT & a unique point of view. I'm not MORE important than anybody, but I have a unique function in this world...so do YOU!...so here is my simple version of the story: Jesus & his disciples had been traveling. As they entered the city of Samaria, Jesus decided to sit & rest by the well, as the others continued into town to buy food. A woman of Samaria came to the well to draw water; Jesus said to her,"Give Me a drink". ( Now I have to say I love that Jesus just plainly tells this woman what He wants. I think the reason He doesn't say please is because Jesus is a "command man". He is not worried about manners or pleasing people. He doesn't make small talk. He makes one simple request. This is generally how I give orders to my children, sometimes I say please, but it's a pleasantry, because I really expect them to obey me. Jesus is Lord of all, He expects us to obey Him, as well...like little children obey their Father. The best thing about this simple request, is that Jesus NEVER asks of us what is too hard) I hope I didn't lose you on that. This simple request for a drink of water SURPRISED the Samaritan woman! She said,"How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?" (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.), the Bible notes. It was clear that there was a strong prejudice between the two groups of people. Now, we must listen carefully at this point as Jesus answers her simple question...at first glance it seems like He isn't replying to her question when He answers;"If you knew the gift of God & Who it is Who says to you,"Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him & He would have given you living water."  I tell you that Jesus never beats around the bush & He never made small talk either. Jesus told her immediately why He spoke to her, he was a gift from God (He REALLY was!!!) & He could give her a unique kind of water...living water. But at this point, she totally doesn't understand what He is saying to her, but she is pleased that He cares enough to speak to her simply as another human being. Later on in this story, we discover that Jesus' disciples were surprised to see Him talking to a woman. I suppose this woman was rather intrigued & maybe even flattered that this unusual man would speak to her & then draw her into a spiritual discussion. At any rate, I am finding this story is not so simple after all, & knowing that long posts are difficult to read, I am going to close this one for now. Please come again, when I tell you ladies more about how Jesus treated women & why He truly was a "gift from God".   Love, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment