Monday, July 28, 2014

Joshua, disability,& holes in the wall

     My 15 year old mentally handicapped son is about 6 foot 4 inches tall & weighs about 200 pounds. He is generally cheerful & compliant but like anyone, he has moments of frustrations. Since he is non-verbal, he has some unusual ways of communicating his emotions, including whining, angry looks, & knocking holes in the wall! You might want to picture a two year old in a man's body...or something like that. Anyway, I now have over half a dozen rather large holes in my drywall here & there....some cleverly concealed by chalkboards & some haphazardly covered with pieces of wood siding or squares of plywood painted white to at least match the wall in color. My house is a bit weird looking. I also have windows that have chicken wire stapled over the screens, & even a few old oven grills that came in very handy to put over the windows where Joshua would try to pull the screens out when he wasn't being watched closely. The more I think about it, my house is REALLY weird looking, but I will spare you all the details. I am thankful for my house. It is rather roomy, paid for, & I have an acre of yard. But my house is not my treasure...my children are my blessing & my treasure. Jesus said what we do for the least of people, we do for Him. I am storing up treasure in heaven by taking care of my dear son Joshua. I am learning to love like Jesus loves....without being "paid back". But God is the one Who rewards me. "It is better to give than to receive". Truly it is...Jesus said this! We get MORE joy, happiness, & good emotions when we give to others, than when we receive from others. TRUE! Handicapped people teach us that our value has nothing to do with our physical or mental strength or our abilities. The only "value" we truly have is because Jesus loves us...that is all....but it is certainly all we need & so much more!!!      Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment