Thursday, December 19, 2013

Suicide

Last night at church, I listened to comments about a recent funeral for a man who committed suicide. To summarize; we were told of moments of faith that this man had exhibited & the Bible verse, "what shall separate us from the love of Christ?..."  There was no warnings about suicide being a grave sin. Suicide is actually murder. We have no right to take a life, even our own!  I am rather ashamed of myself because I simply said nothing & I think I probably should have said something. It's not easy to say that I believe there is a good chance this man is in hell. Not that I want him to be there, but God is the judge. I do believe God calls us at times to be like Jonah & speak out against things that everyone else thinks are okay. Abortion, homosexuality, & suicide are clearly wicked sins. Of course, pride & hypocrisy, judgementalism, lack of love, lack of mercy, etc. are the more subtle wicked sins. Only God knows when a person dies, whether they are truly in Christ or not. I am seriously wondering about my spiritual leader at church who refuses to warn about suicide which is an act of murder that leaves no chance to repent of. I don't believe in purgatory & I don't believe "once saved...always saved".    Revelation 9:21 "....and they did not repent of their murders nor of their immorality nor of their thefts."               Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

2 comments:

  1. It's not an easy subject, by any means . . . suicide is a serious sin . . . yet is there any sin which Christ cannot forgive? Must we repent after each individual sin in order to guarantee our entrance into heaven, or are sins committed immediately before dying which cannot be repented of still covered by His blood for those who believe? While not perfectly or fully, I believe this article fairly well explains what I believe on the issue: http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/funeral-meditation-for-a-christian-who-committed-suicide-1981. As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! I'm looking at this post a few weeks later & truthfully it does sound harsh, even to me. I am still on a quest for truth about this topic & I will pray & also check out your link with interest. God be with you! Love, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete