Friday, June 15, 2012

Pride. What is it really? The Bible is clear that God hates it & basically if God saves us from hell & forgives our sins, He WILL humble us in one way or another. It's a good lesson!  First, pride is thinking we control our own lives. God will show us that He is absolutely in control of EVERYTHING. We can't begin to fathom this but I was just thinking how God knows every single thought I've ever had & every single thought I ever will have in my entire life & that He knew all this before He even created me! Then I think of how He knows EVERY single person He is ever going to make & every single thought every one of them is ever going to have & He knew all this before He ever created a single human. So yeah, you still think we have control over anything?  Well there was a powerful king in the Bible ( King Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel Chapter 4 ) who thought his own talent & power had earned his great kingdom. The king literally went crazy & ate grass like an animal & grew some feathers & claws. God was teaching the king very specifically that God rules over men & appoints whoever He wants as ruler. When the king learned the lesson, God restored his sanity & his kingdom. Pride is the very part in us that wants to resist the rightful rule of God over His own creation in order to have our own stubborn, foolish, & sinful way. I believe we will find ourselves a little crazy now & then because God is trying to teach us something! Specifically I think the word humiliate might bring some memories to mind; it certainly does to my mind! I think the amazing part though is that God brings us past the humiliation, into a state of grace where we see His goodness & His refining in the situation, into an absolute state of blessedness. The clearest example I can think of this is childbirth. I mean, that is a common but rather humbling state for a woman, but honestly, who remembers the humiliating parts! It all serves God's purposes & the new life becomes the total focus for us.   Blessings, in Jesus, Cynthia

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is such a great post! I love how you take stories out of the Bible and communicate the truth in plain, simple language. (Of course, the old way is highly useful, too, but for blog-reading, this suits me just fine.) There's such truth in this - that we're not really in control of anything (scary), and that we really don't have to be (horribly frustrating and yet incredibly freeing at the same time). Thank you so, so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete